How Do You Find the Time?

"How do you find the time?"

I get asked that question a lot and I really don't know the answer. I know that I just do the thing that I get enjoyment from and the things that need to be done.

A single parent, a working professional, someone who loves to read, knit, craft and create, someone who is working really hard to create a good life for herself and her kids. I know I'm not the only one out there, and I enjoy reading the blogs of others, so I thought, "well, why not?" So here we go!

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Happy New Year

Wow, it's been a while since I've blogged! I've been busy with making things, but didn't bother to document them. Now I wish that I had done so.

Knowing myself, I know that if I want to accomplish things, I need to set specific goals. I can do project-oriented things well and love the feeling of finishing something, but it's the more nebulous goals that are harder for me to reach. So, I have a "To Do" list for 2012. Here it is:

1. Lose 5 pounds per month
2. Exercise 5 - 7 times per week
3. Organize the house better (Ok, that's still a bit nebulous, but I do have specific goals - related to #4)
4. Spend less time on the computer and more time doing things around the house (like organizing)
5. Make at least 50 things this year - one per week (and document this somewhere)
6. Keep daily log of exercise and food






So I have a composition book in which I have started logging my food, my exercise and my accomplishments around the house. I know that with logging food, it has to be easy, hence the book. We joined a great gym, Lifetime Fitness, and have already logged some time there and are working out with a trainer, Moses.











Today we organized the desk in the office, which was no small feat! We found 3 1/2" floppy discs (which my children found hysterical), Office XP software and games which will no longer run on any computer we have. It felt good to do some purging and finally find that darn stapler I knew I had!


















I've also done some cooking and prepping for being organized with cooking once I go back to work (Monday - eek!)


Dinner tonight - Crock Pot Jambalaya

Slow Cooker Jambalaya from www.plainchicken.blogspot.com

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes - I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs

1 pound smoked turkey sausage, sliced - I used cajun chicken sausage from Sunflower Market

1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice

3 Tbsp dried minced onion flakes - I used fresh onions

1 cup chicken broth

2 teaspoons dried oregano

2 teaspoons dried parsley

2 tsp minced garlic

2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper - omitted, the sausage has good spice

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

white rice or instant rice (I used 2 packs of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice - Garlic & Butter flavor) - Cooked brown rice to serve with this.


In a slow cooker, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, garlic, celery, and broth. Season with oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and thyme. (I do this the night before and put it in the fridge. I put it in the slow cooker before I leave in the morning.)


Cover, and cook 7 to 8 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on High. Mix in cooked rice cook for about 15 minutes to warm through.




Verdict: Delicious!



One more thing. It's snowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment