How Do You Find the Time?

"How do you find the time?"

I get asked that question a lot and I really don't know the answer. I know that I just do the thing that I get enjoyment from and the things that need to be done.

A single parent, a working professional, someone who loves to read, knit, craft and create, someone who is working really hard to create a good life for herself and her kids. I know I'm not the only one out there, and I enjoy reading the blogs of others, so I thought, "well, why not?" So here we go!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Another Food Post

So it seems that all of my posts are about food. Cooking is not all that I do. I actually have a number of things in the works. I've got the makings for about 10 bags put together downstairs and got an idea for another one last night while I was out to dinner with my friend. I'm also working on getting started knitting socks. I'm inspired to try it and as soon as I find the right needles, I'll start on the socks. I knitted a pair of slippers to felt with some yarn I had taken from a sweater I purchased and took apart. Unfortunately, one of the yarns felted nicely, one did not, so I've got two huge misshapen slippers downstairs!

I'm also itching to try some hand piecing with hexagons and I want to get back to making some purses with sweaters. I've got a couple of great patterns to use, and I'm quite excited.

Today however, my post is about food. I made this delightful lemon cornmeal breakfast cake this morning. It's not low points, but it's very delicious and worth the points value.

This recipe came from this blog: http://flashbangfibers.blogspot.com/

Lemon Cornmeal Breakfast Cake - 7 WW Points plus per slice - 12 slices per cake

makes one 9-inch cake

recipe adapted from Bon Appetit, April 2009



1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/3 cup yellow cornmeal

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup brown sugar

3 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup buttermilk

2 large eggs

1 tablespoons lemon zest

1/2 cup (1 stick) plus one tablespoons unsalted butter, melted until browned then cooled slightly

Lemon Glaze:

1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

In a 9 or 10-inch cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat until browned and fragrant. Use a potholder to grab onto the cast iron and carefully tilt back and forth so the melted butter greases the sides of the pan. Remove browned butter from the cast iron to cool, and set the buttery cast iron aside. That’s what we’re going to bake the cake in!

If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, simply butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan. Set aside. Brown the butter in a skillet over the stove top and incorporate into the recipe just the same.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, carefully whisk together eggs, buttermilk, lemon zest and butter. Add the wet ingredients, all at once, to the dry ingredients and fold together with a spatula. Fold until very few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared buttered pan and place in the oven.

While the cake bakes, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice for the glaze. Set aside.

Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Use a skewer or the tines of a fork to poke holes in the bake. Sporadic holes here and there will do. Pour over the glaze, spread evenly and let rest for about 30 minutes before serving. This cake will last for up to 4 days, well wrapped, at room temperature




Finished Cake - minus a slice




We are having this for dinner. I've got the chicken marinating and it smells delightful! I'll add some veggies to it and likely some noodles. It should be more point friendly! I'll post photos later on!


Thai Honey Peanut Chicken


  • 1 pound Chicken, In Chunks
  • ¼ cups Soy Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons Honey
  • 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
  • 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic (approximately 1 Large Clove)
  • 1 Tablespoon Natural Peanut Butter (heaping Tablespoon Even Better)
  • ½ teaspoons Curry Powder
  • 1 teaspoon Sriracha (optional)

Mix ingredients and marinate chicken for 2-3 hours.

Cook chicken in the sauce over medium-high heat for 7-8 minutes or until chicken is done. Reduce heat to medium-low and add precooked veggies if desired. Serve topped with sesame seeds.

To thicken sauce if needed: reduce heat to medium-low and add a cornstarch slurry (1 teaspoon cornstarch in 1 tablespoon water).

Substitutions: replace chicken with tofu; replace peanut butter with tahini or another nut butter; if using regular peanut butter (i.e. Skippy) instead of natural peanut butter, reduce honey by 1 tablespoon.


Notes: I used two pounds of chicken and I added a little (1 tsp) sesame oil, because I love the smell and flavor that it adds.

No comments:

Post a Comment