How Do You Find the Time?

"How do you find the time?"

I get asked that question a lot and I really don't know the answer. I know that I just do the thing that I get enjoyment from and the things that need to be done.

A single parent, a working professional, someone who loves to read, knit, craft and create, someone who is working really hard to create a good life for herself and her kids. I know I'm not the only one out there, and I enjoy reading the blogs of others, so I thought, "well, why not?" So here we go!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day Number 2

Wow! Another day off due not to snow, but to cold weather. It was -16 when I got up this morning. Today it was warmer in Alaska than it was here! I think I should be thankful that we aren't getting the kind of weather they are getting to the east of us! I'm sure that tomorrow we will be back at school.

So today we did venture out of the house. We went to the local thrift store, Hangars. While I didn't buy anything there, I thought that they do a nice job of displaying and marketing there. I'll definitely head back again. We went to the library so that kids could pick up their books that were on hold and then we went to my favorite Goodwill store in Colorado Springs. We found some black pants and shirts for Dan, a garment bag for my mom and a really cool blue pyrex dish for me. Alas though, the pyrex made it home, but shattered on the laundry room floor. Sad day.

Tonight my dad will be here for dinner. I wanted to make something that everyone would enjoy. The result is this:


Smoked Sausage-and-Vegetable Pile-Up

PointsPlus value: 8

Cooking spray
7 ounces smoked turkey sausage, diagonally sliced
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup sliced zucchini
20 oz garlic mashed potatoes (purchased or made)
2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
1 cup salsa
1/4 cup green chili relish or canned green chili, chopped

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage; sauté 2 minutes or until browned. Remove from skillet; keep warm.

2. Return pan to heat, recoat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, bell pepper, and zucchini. Coat vegetables with cooking spray; sauté 5 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown.

3. While vegetables cook, heat potatoes according to package directions.

4. Add corn and cooked sausage to onion mixture. Saute 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve sausage mixture over mashed potatoes. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup sausage and vegetables and ½ cup mashed potatoes.


I have some leftover mashed potatoes that I made on Monday night with this recipe in mind. We've also made a nice salad and while we were at the store, I snagged some foccacia rolls on the reduced bread shelf. I decided that I would make some nice croutons to have on the salad, and when I make more soup, in the soup. Yum!




I

No comments:

Post a Comment