How Do You Find the Time?

"How do you find the time?"

I get asked that question a lot and I really don't know the answer. I know that I just do the thing that I get enjoyment from and the things that need to be done.

A single parent, a working professional, someone who loves to read, knit, craft and create, someone who is working really hard to create a good life for herself and her kids. I know I'm not the only one out there, and I enjoy reading the blogs of others, so I thought, "well, why not?" So here we go!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Two in One Day! Food this time

Wow, I just made a recipe from the most recent Cooking Light Magazine and it was yummy! Everyone enjoyed it and we will have this one again. Unfortunately, I did not take any photos, but it looked a lot like the photo on the Cooking Light Website. We had a spirited discussion as to whether I could use it and as long as I give credit to the website and photographer, I am going to use it. So, here it is:

Photo by: John Autry



Fingerling Potato-Leek Hash with Swiss Chard and Eggs

To trim Swiss chard, pull or cut the stems out of the leaves.


Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups sliced leek (about 2 large)
  • 12 ounces fingerling potatoes, cut in half lengthwise (about 4 cups)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, divided
  • 4 cups thinly sliced trimmed Swiss chard (about 1 bunch)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Gruyère cheese

Preparation

1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan. Add leek; cook 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add potatoes and garlic; cook 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chard; cook 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Using a spoon, push potato mixture aside to make 4 egg-size spaces. Crack 1 egg into each space; sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon paprika over eggs. Cover and cook 3 minutes; sprinkle cheese over potato mixture. Cover and cook 2 minutes or until egg yolks are lightly set.


Here's what I did differently - You know I can never follow a recipe *exactly*. I used russet potatoes, twice as much Swiss chard - be sure to wash this well, and used cheddar cheese instead of Gruyere because that's what I had, although I'll bet Gruyere would be yummy.

Maybe next time I'll remember to take a photo!

1 comment:

  1. OMG,that looks good. I'll be trying this soon. Thanks Lois!

    ReplyDelete