How Do You Find the Time?

"How do you find the time?"

I get asked that question a lot and I really don't know the answer. I know that I just do the thing that I get enjoyment from and the things that need to be done.

A single parent, a working professional, someone who loves to read, knit, craft and create, someone who is working really hard to create a good life for herself and her kids. I know I'm not the only one out there, and I enjoy reading the blogs of others, so I thought, "well, why not?" So here we go!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Korean Chicken and Accounting

Wow, busy week last week, with going back to work. It's all good though! So first off, accounting for my goals:

Weight: Down 9 pounds! Yay me!
Exercise: 5 of 7 days
  • Monday: Cardio and core stregthening
  • Tuesday: Water Aerobics - 60 minutes
  • Wednesday: Cardio and core strengthening
  • Thursday: None
  • Friday: Cardio and core strengthening
  • Saturday: Cardio workout with personal trainer - 60 minutes - brutal but fun!
  • Sunday: None

Food Journaling: Every day!

Projects:

I made this scarf from a cool art yarn called Flounce that my friend Cathy sent me! It was a very easy, quick and fun knit.

I also finished a lunchbox that I started over break. I found this cool Dr. Seuss fabric and thought that my artist child would love it. He does!

So there's a blog I'm following called Six Sisters Stuff - you can see the link in the sidebar. They have great recipes and I found the below recipe on their website. My kids gave the recipe a huge thumb's up! It's a keeper!

Korean BBQ Chicken

1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup soy sauce (low sodium is fine)
1 cup water
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp minced garlic
Sesame seeds
10 chicken tenders
Steamed broccoli
Cooked rice

Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and spread out in a single layer in a 7x11" pan.
In a medium saucepan over high heat, whisk together the sugar, soy sauce, water, onion powder, garlic, and ground ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
Remove mixture from heat and whisk in lemon juice and red pepper flakes.
Pour mixture over chicken. Cover pan with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, stirring halfway through to make sure chicken is evenly covered with sauce.
When finished cooking, drain some of the leftover juices into a saucepan. Heat up and add cornstarch to make a thicker sauce.
Add steamed broccoli to chicken in the pan and mix gently.
Put chicken/broccoli mixture over cooked rice and drizzle thickened sauce over the top. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.

My Notes:

1. I used 1 3/4 cup chicken broth and 1/4 cup soy sauce in place of the soy sauce and water. I find things with that much soy sauce to be too salty.

2. I used minced ginger instead of ginger powder.

3. I only used about 1/3 of a cup of sugar - honey or agave nectar might be even better

4. Instead of red pepper flakes, I used 2 tsp of siracha

5. I added siracha to the sauce at the end because I wanted more of a hot and sweet flavor. I think I added about 2 teaspoons, but this could be adjusted to taste. Red pepper flakes would definitely work too.

6. I used boneless skinless chicken thighs because that's what I had.

And finally, a couple of photos of my dogs. It was so beautiful this weekend and they enjoyed being outside. I was trying to get a photo of Shiloh with his ear sticking up. It was quite amusing, but I couldn't quite get it. I think though, that these two photos are fun!


First Shiloh!

Then Willie!


1 comment:

  1. The abdominal area is much less than one would think, in fact the effects of abdominal exercises are far less than that of walking, jogging or cycling for a similar level of perceived effort.

    ReplyDelete