How Do You Find the Time?

"How do you find the time?"

I get asked that question a lot and I really don't know the answer. I know that I just do the thing that I get enjoyment from and the things that need to be done.

A single parent, a working professional, someone who loves to read, knit, craft and create, someone who is working really hard to create a good life for herself and her kids. I know I'm not the only one out there, and I enjoy reading the blogs of others, so I thought, "well, why not?" So here we go!

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Breakfast

It's blueberry time! Great prices in all the stores. Consequently, I have a lot of blueberries in my refrigerator. This morning I was looking for a recipe for whole wheat blueberry muffins and I found this one:


Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

This recipe made 24 regular-sized muffins when doubled

1/2 cup 1% milk
1 cup oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon flax seeds
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 to 1 cup of chopped nuts (I used slivered almonds)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare muffin tins with muffin cup liners.

2. Prepare the "flax eggs" by first grinding the flax seeds. Add the water to the ground flax seeds and blend together until it starts to thicken up a bit.

3. In a medium bowl, stir together the "flax eggs", milk, applesauce, vanilla and sugar. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and gently fold together. Gently stir in the blueberries and nuts. Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.




Another breakfast item that I made last week was this Breakfast Casserole. We had enough for breakfast during the school week. I've made this a lot, and it always receives rave reviews.

Hashbrown Casserole


2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
3 cartons (4 oz. each) cholesterol-free egg product or 6 large eggs, well beaten
1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pkg. (30 oz.) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
10 slices turkey bacon, cooked and chopped, or 1 cup diced ham


PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.

COMBINE cheese, egg product, evaporated milk, salt and black pepper in large bowl. Add potatoes, onion, bell pepper and bacon, mix well. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.

BAKE for 60 to 65 minutes or until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment