How Do You Find the Time?

"How do you find the time?"

I get asked that question a lot and I really don't know the answer. I know that I just do the thing that I get enjoyment from and the things that need to be done.

A single parent, a working professional, someone who loves to read, knit, craft and create, someone who is working really hard to create a good life for herself and her kids. I know I'm not the only one out there, and I enjoy reading the blogs of others, so I thought, "well, why not?" So here we go!

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Apple Cake!

So what does one do when one has a lot of apples that have already been sliced and cored?    One makes Apple Cake!   Now I'm not talking about 10 sliced apples - I'm talking about a gallon-sized zipper bag full of apples.    So I searched and looked and found this recipe, claiming to be the best apple cake in the world.     That's a pretty big claim - but the recipe did look good and looked like it would be an easy way to use all of those apples.    So I got busy.....


Please don't laugh at my ugly green bowl.   It's actually a Halloween bowl, but it's the only one big enough for ALL that batter.   It came to the top!

Three times the recipe equals 5 pans!

Pretty pretty!


Those apple chunks are really good!
Apple Spice Cake (from here)

Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil 
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 to 4 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (3 cups)
  • 1 cup chopped assorted nuts, such as pecans and walnuts (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray; set aside.
  2. Working over a large sheet of parchment paper, sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; gather sifted ingredients into center of sheet; set aside.(I sift everything in a large bowl)
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine vegetable oil, sugar, and eggs; mix on high speed until lemon yellow.
  4. Fold reserved parchment in half lengthwise; with mixer on medium speed, gradually shake in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
  5. Add apples and, if desired, nuts, to batter; mix to combine. Add vanilla, mixing until incorporated.
  6. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 75 to 90 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven, and cool slightly on a wire rack.
  8. Invert cake onto rack; turn cake right-side up to cool completely on rack 




My Notes:     I tripled the recipe and used 1/2 oil and 1/2 applesauce.    I think I could have used even less oil and more applesauce.     I mixed the dry ingredients in a bowl, not on parchment paper.    I used walnuts in the bread.  I probably only cooked this for a total of 55 minutes - check it at 45 minutes.   I also had a really hard time getting this bread out of the pans.    I either need a)  new pans or b) to flour the sides of the pans or maybe use parchment paper in the loaf pans.      Be aware that the batter is very thick, and not like a typical cake batter.   The apples release moisture as they cook, and the end result is quite nice.      I had a small piece last night and again this morning.   It's definitely better this morning.    I think that the people I am serving it to on Tuesday or Wednesday will really enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment